Sunday, September 20, 2009

more digital experiments in progress...

Initial stage - crappy sketch over random background. Just to get base shapes planned.

Marking big areas of color/shadow. This stage is absurdly sloppy, there's no real need to stay inside the lines, etc. (a.k.a. The Fun Part)

More work on color & shade. Trying to work in some reddish tones here & there. Laughing at how I flounder when it comes to color...base tones ripped straight from source photo.

Further refinement. Laying in glasses, eyes, highlighting the face, smoothing out the color transitions to give nose shape, etc. Whew. LONG way to go on this one...maybe 1 hr 45 minutes in thus far. More as it happens.

2 comments:

  1. So, do you ever feel weird using a program to do this stuff. I'm not saying you should. Just wondering about your thoughts. There's some writing software out there that's supposed to help with structure (which I don't think I've ever been really good at--my brain goes too many places--but have made an effort to improve) and I don't know. I know it's not the same, I just feel weird. And fully recognize that, in utmost probability it's my own bullshit working, internally, against me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all, I love working digital. I spent around 6 hours in total on this piece - if it were an actual physical painting, we'd be talking 6 weeks or so. IF I hurried and didn't screw anything up. Digital is an absurd timesaver for me. That being said, I love the process of real painting with actual brushes & pigments. Same thing with drawing - digital is an amazing speedboost, but I couldn't ever replace pen & paper. And it's less of an issue since my drawings only deal with line, really. Figuring out colors is a whole new (and confusing) ball game.
    As for writing software, who knows? Bottom line is finding a method that works for you, regardless of the tools involved. You're still the one that gets to do all the work, and if a piece of software can streamline the process, i say go for it!

    ReplyDelete