Saturday, May 30, 2009

unfinished project #23

I am a massive fan of the film Blade Runner. In terms of overall visual style, it is breathtaking. And the gun wielded by Harrison Ford is a thing of clunky beauty.

Now, there are several companies/individuals who sell prop replicas of this piece. Most of them are really high quality; parts cast from the same guns used to make the prop for the film, etc. (and the hero, full-detail version of the pistol was just rediscovered by the prop-nerd public a couple years ago, leading to another round of even-more-accurate replicas). Unfortunately, replicas cost money.

Since I am, if nothing else, a crafty nerd, I opted to make one of my own. The shots above are how it stood as of late 2007. I made mine a bit bigger than the original - I wanted something solid, that feels good in the hand. I was/am much more concerned about trying to get the feel of it, as opposed to strict accuracy to what was on-screen. There are folks who can do accurate amazingly well, I'm just not one of them.

Shots below are as of late 2008 - a lot more sculpting work done. Of course, still a long way to go...

Build Materials: PVC pipe, ApoxySculpt, wood, Styrene of various sorts, brass plumbing fittings, cast-off bits o' plastic. Also of note: the only power tools I have are a Dremel, and a small belt sander. Everything else is done by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment